Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Saturday 2 April 2005

Just how desperate is the Conservative Party?

I have written before of my resignation from the Conservative Party in September 2001, a few days after Iain Duncan Smith (IDS) was elected Leader. I won't rehash all of this here.

Since that time, however, I have maintained cordial relations with my local constituency office and many of my former fellow Party members. On several occasions since then I have been asked if I would consider assisting in various Party activities, specially in the run-up to the last elections for the Scottish Parliament and local government in May 2003. As IDS remained the Leader at the time, it was easy for me to decline - expressing surprise that it could be imagined that I would give any other response, given that I had made my views on the election of IDS perfectly clear. Since then I have been asked on several occasions, particularly since Michael Howard became the Leader, whether I would reconsider. Whilst I have a lot of time for Michael Howard in general (barring the recent fracas over Howard Flight) there is still too much about Conservative social policy that I can have no truck with. With this in mind I have on a number of occasions made it clear to people within the local constituency office, including to the Chairman and to our local list MSP, that I would take no active part nor consider rejoining the Party until after the next General Election. I wish not to be a member for [at least] a full government term.

So I was somewhat surprised when I arrived home earlier this week (from a trip to the gym on Wednesday, I believe) to find a message on my answer-machine from the local list MSP asking me whether I would consider assisting in the run-up to the coming election. Although the good lady is a very nice person, whom I know reasonably well, I think my views have been made clear to her and the constituency Chairman before, so I considered a reply on my part superfluous. Whether any impoliteness relates to my non-response to the answer-phone message, or to her impertinence in recording such a message (given that I have already made clear on numerous occasions what my attitude would be) is perhaps something I am not competent to judge, given the subjectivity of my views on this matter.

Imagine my further surprise, therefore, when I received yet another telephone call today from a Conservative also living in Nairn, whom I have never met before (to my recollection), repeating the request for me to become involved. I can only imagine that she had been requested to contact me by the constituency office in Inverness. Naturally we had a perfectly pleasant conversation, but I am frankly astonished at this persistence. I can only imagine it is a reflection of the paucity of other assistance available. One day, when the Conservative Party once and for all dispenses with its policies of social divisiveness then I will be happy to re-join and give whatever assistance I can. Until then, well they can whistle in the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.