Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Sunday 17 July 2005

If science says it, then it must be true ...

When I first read this article, I quickly scrolled back up to the dateline to see if 1st April played a part in it, so unless there is something specially significant in the real date (2 October), even if it seems to be a couple of years old, it is probably just a date chosen at random. Anyway, what am I rabbiting on about? Well it seems that researchers at North Carolina State University have found that the risk of breast cancer in women can be significantly reduced if they "perform the act of fellatio and swallow semen on a regular basis". This seemingly genuine report on what seems to be the CNN website even has an amazing quote from one of the researchers, Dr Helena Shifteer:

"Since the emergence of the research, I try to fellate at least once every other night to reduce my chances."

- it was really this allegedly genuine quotation that made me even more certain that this whole article is a made-up spoof. For example note the URL for that link above - it seems to be a blog hosted on the mac.com server, by someone whose username is nikkienikks, and this itself adds to my belief that this is all a (superficially) elaborate hoax. I did a little research on the genuine CNN website for articles on breast cancer and, as you may imagine, found no such article currently appearing on it - here is the link to the list of articles I found.

It gave me a laugh anyway!
(Thru Gavin at The Whiskey Priest)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.