Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 3 January 2006

Skype me - or words to that effect!

Yes, Bill has just entered the internet telephony age, by signing up for Skype. Just amazing!

So far I haven't used it to call anyone between my PC and theirs (not being aware of anyone who actually has it up and running on their PC yet), but I have made a couple of calls from my PC to landlines - unlike PC to PC calls (which are apparently completely free) there is a small fee for calling a landline, but the call-time fee is 'peanuts' - just GBP5.00, which apparently gives about 7 hours call-time to anywhere in the world. No doubt in due course some of my contacts/friends/family will have this 'magic' gizmo installed on their PCs as well and the era of completely free telephony will have come to my little PC via my broadband connection. As a major UK supermarket chain has it - 'Every Little Helps!'

UPDATE: (Tuesday 03JAN06 20.25) I've just added a Skype button in the left-hand column in case any of my fine visitors have Skype themselves and wish to add me to their Skype list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.