Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Friday 29 April 2005

Nairn bandstand repairs begin, at last ...

Nairn has few iconic landmarks, but for people who know the area or the town its Bandstand certainly fits the bill. Since coming to live in Nairn about five years ago I have come to know it very well, mainly because it is what I see out of my windows across the cricket pitch and because I take regular walks around it during my dog-walking duties (pleasures really, but you get my drift ...). Anyway the Bandstand roof, a lead-covered pagoda-style affair, was quite badly damaged last winter during a storm and bits of the lead were left hanging off dangerously. The 'instant fix' was to secure the remaining bits of the roof in place and to remove the dangly bits for safety reasons, then of course the whole thing was surrounded by a security fence - not pretty, as you can imagine.

Yesterday when I opened my bedroom blinds the first thing I noticed was a lot of activity by Highland Council people and various other contractors - later in the day (after my trip to Inverness to the gym, etc) it became clear that they had been erecting a scaffolding platform around the roof, seemingly preparatory to doing some work on it - we can but hope! I took the photograph below about 30 minutes ago and although all the people who were there earlier have now disappeared again, I'm hoping it won't be too long before they are back to get on with the work.


Nairn Bandstand - 29 April 2005


Nairn Bandstand - 'anyone for cricket?' - August 2004




It will certainly make the Nairn Games day in August much more enjoyable (here is my post about last year's event).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.