The Labour Party have today launched their general election manifesto. Key pledges:
- No increase in basic or top rate income tax
- Minimum wage to rise to £5.35 from October 2006
- Increase home ownership by two million
- Inflation target of 2%
- No-one will have to wait more than 18 weeks to see a specialist from date of referral
- Rebuild or refurbish every secondary school
- Education or training for every 16 to 18-year-old
- Publicly-owned Royal Mail fully restored to "good health"
- Action to tackle guns and knives
- Further Lords reform
- Point system for immigrants
You can read the full manifesto is PDF format here. Gawd help us, but I suspect the British people are just mad enough to believe this 'Britain: Forward not Back' nonsense. If it was really true that Gordon Brown had managed the economy prudently then perhaps it would make sense, but he has not. Public debt - way up! Pensions - taxed into oblivion. Unless you're on the public payroll that is - the second Labour term has been all about creating a supplicant nation - they must be stopped before the process goes further!