Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 7 July 2004

To work or not to work - and for how long

Now I choose not to work any more, so all of this is somewhat academic to me. It seems that people in the UK work around 100 hours a year (yes, really!) longer than fellow-workers in any other EU country. However, even in the UK this averages out to only just over 32 hours a week; if you exclude the 4-weeks annual paid holiday allowed to most people than the average rises to only around 35 hours - hardly a great trauma, I would have thought. Of course, certain categories of people do work a lot longer, junior hospital doctors perhaps being the notorious example.

During my working life I certainly worked for a LOT longer than that, and there was no such thing as 'overtime'; of course, I was very well paid so I think it was a pretty fair trade-off. I did once work for about nine months without a day off, and for about 15 hours a day for most of that time (about 105 hours a week) and that was indeed pretty tough, but we had a special project to fulfil and that's just the way it was - I had an extra month 'ex gratia' vacation at the end of it as partial compensation and as I was time-poor and money-rich that was a far more valuable reward so far as I was concerned. Of course almost none of this was within Europe, except for about four years in France, but even there I worked something like 55 or 60 hours a week, admittedly with a full 2-day weekend (this was a luxury for me as in most other places I had only 1 or 1 1/2 days at the weekend).

EU average working times contrast starkly with many countries outside Europe, specially the US where most people only have around 2 (or perhaps 3) weeks paid holiday a year. My boss for some of the time I was in Paris was an American, from the US arm of the organisation I worked for, and he was on a US-style contract so had only 3 weeks vacation a year, whereas I had 6 weeks.

My attitude to this whole thing can be summed up succinctly. I never bothered about watching a clock, I worked hard, long and productively. I was well rewarded. I no longer need to work and choose not to. We all make choices in life; I am glad I made the choices I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.