Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 28 April 2004

UKIP London mayoral candidate Frank Maloney -"I don't want to campaign around gays...I don't think they do a lot for society."

Really, this gentleman needs to be more imaginative - I'm sure there are a few gays who'd support his Party's ideas (not me amongst them, though); some of us even pay [lots of] tax and do other mundane things as well. But that's not what all this is about, of course. Mr Maloney doesn't like gays, that's it in a nutsehell. Of course he says:

"I'm not homophobic, but in public let's live a proper moral life - I think that's important."

- why do homophobes always say this kind of thing, which they must surely know doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny and which no-one but fellow homophobes will swallow? Beats me.

I have some advice for Mr Maloney - if you're going to campaign seriously in a city that is so diverse as London then saying this kind of thing seems designed to alienate those whose votes you are trying to win. Surely a more productive, if devious, tactic would be to keep 'schtum' about this kind of thing until after you were safely elected? Perhaps he is just not a devious person. Or perhaps he is just ... not the brightest on the block. But with his kind of views, that is not really a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.