Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Brian Souter Knighthood - sign the petition opposing this

Brian Souter, a co-founder of major transport company 'Stagecoach', has just been granted a Knighthood in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2011. However, as the man who provided a million pounds of his own money for a campaign opposing the repeal of the anti-LGBT 'Section 28' (Clause 2a in Scotland), I feel this is a deeply flawed award and should be withdrawn as it is deeply insulting to the LGBT community, who suffered increased violence in the wake of the ultimately unsuccessful campaign to keep this odious piece of legislation. The legislation was finally repealed in Scotland in June 2000 and in the rest of the UK in November 2003 - the full history of this legislation is here.

In the event that you feel as I do, I wanted to draw your attention to an important petition that I recently signed to "Withdraw Brian Souter's Knighthood" - I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature, too. It's free and takes just a few seconds of your time. If you wish to visit and sign the petition, please click here to go there now.

I urge you to consider signing this petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.