Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 20 January 2009

Midweek YouTube - Barack Obama inauguration speech (part). Plus the UK's disaster

I've been too angry the last day or two to post much here; yesterday's predictably futile throwing of yet more public money at the banks by the British government has been analysed accurately by the markets as a complete waste of time and they have accordingly marked down UK bank shares, massively, as well as marking down the Pound, particularly against the US Dollar. There are even rumours apparently that the sovereign debt of UK PLC might be marked down (seemingly quashed for now - see here), too, just as that of Spain was a few days ago. See also Telegraph 'comment' article here. One market 'guru' (aka 'speculator') is now suggesting that people should dump any Sterling they may have as soon as they can (see also here) - in fact this is something I have been thinking about doing for a while (at least the last few weeks) although I haven't actually done it yet, although I shall probably end up splitting my GBP deposits into three - GBP, EUR and USD - as this may at least protect me from the worst effects of the current currency turmoil, although I have also been looking at gold for a proportion.

In any case, I have had rather more to concern me these last few days than to be blogging here, but I did settle down this afternoon to watch the whole investiture shebang and I thought that this segment of Barack Hussein Obama's inaugural speech was a pretty fair summing up of what he seems to be about:



I haven't posted a 'Midweek YouTube' for almost exactly a year (since just before I left for Spain last winter, in fact), and although that series of posts generally looked at advertising from a serious or humorous point of view, or at moral issues from similar perspectives, I thought that today's events in the capital of the United States (a'aaSimah alwilaayaat almutaHidah alamreekeeyah - see '*' at end) - which I include in Arabic because I can actually read it so know that it is accurate, rather than the perhaps more appropriate Swahili (given Obama's paternal heritage), of which other than the word Jambo ('Hello') I have no knowledge - would be a suitable event with which to resume the series.

(* عاصمة الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية - obviously the arabic version should be read from right to left)

2 comments:

  1. He made a reference to Britain didn't he Bill?
    'When the enemy was in control of the Capital...'
    or something like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course he did. I liked it - it's one of the curious features of the so-called 'special relationship' that the former colonial master is now one of the best friends of the 'errant colony'; the ties which bind us culturally are far too strong to be broken.

    It might also, by the way, have been an exceptionally subtle reference to his own father's much more recent mistreatment at the hands of the British in Kenya.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.