Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 27 September 2007

Boris to be Conservative mayoral candidate in London

Boris Johnson has been overwhelmingly selected as the Conservative mayoral candidate in London. This was very much the expected outcome and I think the correct one; it will certainly be an interesting campaign given the high profiles of both Johnson and Livingstone.

I heard Boris on the 'Today' programme earlier this morning (before the results of the Conservative mayoral candidate selection process had been announced) and I must admit I did have a sinking feeling at one point with his 'buffoonish' answers; however, at one point he did come down to earth and speak quite seriously and sensibly - it would be a pity to lose the joyously surrealistic tone of the classic Boris Johnson comment, of course, but he does need to drive home the point that he is not only a big personality but a clever person with good ideas. As I live a long way from London I can't vote there, but if I could it would certainly be for Johnson - I have the feeling that he would do the job well and competently, whilst injecting a dose of much-needed 'fun' into our national life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.