Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 5 July 2007

'The Real Cherie Blair'

Did anyone else see this? Yesterday evening the much-hyped fly-on-the-wall programme about the final six months of the Blairs' period at 10 Downing Street was broadcast. I've only just watched a recording this afternoon (I must reveal that I was watching Taggart instead yesterday, as I think it is one of the better non-American police dramas).

One of the best lines from Fiona Bruce was a question about whether Cherie thought anyone would flock to see her give a sponsored talk during her overseas jaunts if she was not the wife of the Prime Minister. Poor Cherie (and I did feel a little sorry for her at that point, but only a little) looked completely flummoxed at the audacity of the question and blustered in reply: "I really don't want to answer that question, actually. I don't know what it's got to do with anything." - it's pretty clear, frankly, Ms Booth. Another 'highlight' was the section covering the Carol Caplin/Peter Foster fiasco and the apartment for son Euan in Bristol (where he attended university) - the naivete of this whole episode, and her almost-tearful news conference to explain what she had been playing at getting involved with an antipodean con-man, was and remains a mystery to me. This lady is supposed to be one of the foremost barristers in the country!

I won't bang on about this much more. All I will add is that a former boyfriend (a Hong Kong Chinese I knew in HK and Australia) had a word for people like her - 'money-hungry'. She says she will be glad when they have left Downing Street not to have to live in the spotlight ever again - frankly the end of this embarrassing interlude in British public life is a relief to me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.