Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Monday 16 July 2007

Further update on my Vista laptop trials and tribulations

Well I re-installed Windows Vista and all the drivers and utilities (an amazingly lenghty process!) and then fired the thing up and it seemed to install correctly. I re-installed my ISP utility and that, too, seemed to work fine.

That took me up to about 2pm this afternoon - when I had to go out for a few hours.

Although I had already, of course, put on the firewall, etc - I hadn't at this stage re-installed the anti-virus software (Norton). That's what I've just been doing and that seemed to work OK - LiveUpdate, etc, anti-virus software switched on. All seemed to be OK. Last thing to do was to run a full scan - and this too seemed to be working OK, until roughly 270,0000 files had been scanned (see * below) then the whole thing freezes up!

Switched off at main power button and back on - told it to do a normal re-start. OK. Did a further full scan and it blocked up AGAIN after roughly 230,000 files. Frankly, I'm completely fed-up with Vista! I want to go back to XP!

* I recall from a full scan before this whole nonsense started a week ago that there were something like 170,000 files in all for my anti-virus software to scan. Looking at the window as it was scanning today it is clear that ALL the software and files from before I re-installed Windows Vista this morning have been stored in an 'old' section - so the re-formatting has not in fact booted anything out at all - so the re-scan is possibly still coming up against whatever the problem was before.

To repeat: I'm completely fed-up with Vista! I want to go back to XP! (For information this post is being done on my Vista machine - yes, it works after a fashion, but is obviously still not 100%>)

Right, I'm off to get supper. Tomorrow I'm taking a test-drive of a possible replacement for my existing car - maybe I'll be in a better mood after that. Sigh ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.