Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Sunday 5 March 2006

Gay bank executive claims GBP5m for unfair dismissal

Peter Lewis is claiming for unfair dismissal against former employer HSBC, where he worked as a very well-paid trader. He alleges that the bank dismissed him because of his sexuality; the bank denies this and claims that he had sexually harassed another male employee whilst in the company's headquarters gym.

I have no idea who is in the right here, although I have my own private views on the matter (I myself am a former employee of HSBC), but I share the assessment of Ben Summerskill, chief executive of Stonewall, who is quoted as saying:


"It will be a high-profile case because of the large sums of money involved. It's very unusual for such allegations to be made. If Peter Lewis is successful, inevitably there will be employers across the country that start taking the treatment of their lesbian and gay staff more seriously."

- I will be watching this case closely. So will many others in the 'gay community' I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.