Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 8 December 2005

Things I will not tolerate in this website!

Over the past few days there have been numerous distasteful comments left in several of my recent posts, all appearing to emanate from the same person, who styles him-/her-self 'rebbiker'; I am now pretty convinced that this person is posting from the Wilayah Persekutuan and more specifically Kuala Lumpur area of Malaysia. As with many internet users his/her IP varies, presumably because the ISP (Adsl-streamyx-tmnet) uses dynamic IPs for its clients, so it is a question or banning each IP range as it is used - this is what I have now decided to do systematically whenever this person posts yet another comment which contravenes the Terms of Use I have set for use of this website, rather than adding my own comments to his'/her's which I had been doing until a few days ago. Incidentally a person using the name 'rebbiker' has posted offensive comments here occasionally in the past (so far as I recall such comments began over two years ago), but the recent spate of comments has become tiresome.

I reiterate that I welcome comment in this website, positive or negative, but there are strings attached - I will not permit profanity nor comments which may reasonably be construed as being racist, sectarian or homophobic in nature or which appear to have been made primarily to promote commercial activity. Naturally in some cases this will entail some degree of interpretation and I try, to the best of my ability (and my blood pressure!), to err on the side of caution when deciding to censor or delete offensive comments, but the person doing the interpreting is me so far as this website is concerned so if any person, whether it be 'rebbiker' or anyone else, is unhappy with any of my editorial decisions, then the stark truth is that I do not care - I make the decisions, period. There are many other places on the internet where people can indulge their wish/habit of using profanity or participate in discussions where bigotry of all kinds is tolerated. This is not one of those places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.