Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Sunday 27 March 2005

Gym'll fix it ...

... not that there's anything wrong, but I couldn't resist the bad pun! Yes, I joined a Gym a couple of weeks ago and so far am enjoying it a great deal. I am going about twice a week and find the programme of exercises I have been given to be within my capabilities, but sufficiently challenging to be useful; there is a target for improvement over the intitial two months and I have already inched a couple of the exercises up the scale with comfort. In the last few years several Gyms have opened in Inverness, but the one I go to is one of the LivingWell group and the one here is well equipped and very pleasant to use. I tend to go toward the middle or end of the morning for two or so hours and at that time of the day it is not too crowded at all - a mixture of males and females, mainly middle-aged. After the programme of exercises I spend roughly another 45 minutes in the pool, steam room and sauna. I particularly enjoy steam rooms - it really opens up the pores. My main aim is to improve my general well-being, increase my stamina a little and to strengthen my upper body; I have never been an athletic person.

Soon after starting to lose weight on the Atkins diet I began to do brief periods of light jogging during my daily walks with the dog - this has helped to increase my general stamina already and some of the lower-body muscles, but I felt over the winter, when I wasn't doing so much, and no cycling at all, that a regular programme would be helpful. I had been thinking about it for a while, but never having been in a Gym before was a little hesitant to take the plunge - a friend at the wine society brought the subject up at a recent tasting and invited me along as a guest, so that got the ball rolling. I must say I am quite pleased that he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.