Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Friday 17 December 2004

Deep-fried Mars bars - myth or reality

How to increase your risk of heart disease, obesity and loads of other health problems - come to Scotland and enjoy what seems to be a national 'delicacy'.

According to a study by NHS Glasgow, as reported here, it is very much a reality! According to the survey 22 per cent of Scottish 'take-away' restaurant offer these for sale, and one of the 500 chip shops included in the survey said they sell upto 200 a week, mainly to children.

Even before I began the Atkins diet, when I was a lot bigger than I am now, I must say I had never been aware of these things during my very occasional visits to chip shops (for fish and chips), but then I don't live in Glasgow. I now eat lots of fish, but not in batter, and of course I no longer eat things like potatoes, so chips are out. I still count myself so lucky to have discovered the Atkins diet; it has changed my life (no exaggeration) and, even if I might wish I had known about it 20 years ago, I now plan to live this way for the rest of my much slimmer and happier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.