Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 27 July 2004

Spiderman 2 - a review

This film has been showing here for the last couple of weeks, but I hadn't really had time to go and see it - also I prefer not see movies in cinemas packed to over-flowing so prefer to wait until most of the initial frenzy has worn off. It is however a film I really wanted to see as I had enjoyed the earlier one and Tobey Maguire is obviously a pretty skillful young actor - his performance in Pleasantville was the first I saw of him and it was obvious he was likely to become quite successful.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my previous post, I thought a good way of passing a few hours whilst my dog was undergoing tests at the vet on Monday would be to go see Spiderman 2. I've read many reviews of the 2nd outing for this comic character, but I was confirmed in my desire to see it by what The Indepundit had to say.

It lived up to what I had heard about it. I'd split it up into three main segments: a high octane first section, a lull in the middle phase, reaching a further crescendo of action toward the end. The special effects are pretty amazing and the evil (by nature or circumstance) characters don't disappoint. Maguire gives his usual 'geeky' performance with great aplomb. The plot is, of course, rather thin, but that doesn't really matter. This is a movie experience where you are overwhelmed by the visuals and the sound. The over-the-top nature of the Marvel comics version, specially the newspaper editor, is faithfully reproduced. Well worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.