Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 12 January 2010

Lots of holes in the internet today - or is it just me?

(Please see UPDATE at end)

I've been noticing lots of gaps in the internet today, some involving sites I operate, others involving sites I visit regularly. There was no problem last evening, but since this morning and until now the whole system seems to be decidedly patchy. The only recent news story I can find about this is here. If even major users like Baidu.com have their domain registration in the US and have been cyber-attacked, then people like me who host in Canada with domain registrations in the US may also be affected indirectly - or at least this is what I surmise.

Does anyone have more definite information to offer about what is going on?

UPDATE: (Wednesday 13JAN10 23.55 GMT) Pleasingly I resolved this problem earlier today with the useful suggestion of the hosting company of one of the websites I operate - that I power down my broadband router then power it back up. I have got into the habit of leaving my router switched on 24/7 and this has apparently caused its internal cache memory to become clogged; although there was briefly a more general internet problem yesterday it seems that my problem was unrelated to this. A lesson well-learned for the future - not to leave my router switched on for lengthy periods when I have no immediate need for a broadband link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.