Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Not a word here about the budgetary implications!

This kind of propaganda piece on behalf of public subsidies for ferries to remote areas around Scotland seems to me to be laughably lacking in even the merest hint of basic economic analysis. The 'Road Equivalent Tariff' for certain western isles routes will obviously have increased traffic - most people like to feel they are 'getting something for less', but ultimately someone is paying for all this largesse. And that someone is you and me, Joe-taxpaying-public!

A little bit of factual reporting wouldn't go amiss so this policy can be judged dispassionately on its merits. At present some areas, such as Orkney and Shetland feel 'miffed' at being left out of this particular gravy-train, and who can blame them? Take a look at the political complexions of the different areas benefitting and not benefitting and the genesis of this policy perhaps becomes somewhat clearer.

6 comments:

  1. Take a look at the political complexions of the different areas benefitting and not benefitting and the genesis of this policy perhaps becomes somewhat clearer.

    Bill - if the same rate per mile used for RET were to be applied to the ferries running between Aberdeen and Orkney/Shetland, the fares on these routes would increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's as may be, but the point of my article is that I think subsidies of any kind are wrong. If people want to live in an isolated island, good luck to them, but I don't want to have to help pay for it. It's that simple. Same goes for the nonsense of buying out the Skye Bridge to make it toll-free - why should I be paying for this? Yes, I know what was done under the last lot. Same about communities buying their island (well I have no objection to that per se), particularly when it is in reality we who are buying it for them with massive grants.

    Did I mention I don't believe in subsidies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention I don't believe in subsidies?

    Only right at the end, there. I think you were perhaps a little hazy and equivocal on that point prior to that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably laid it on a bit thick, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This kind of propaganda piece on behalf of public subsidies for ferries to remote areas around Scotland seems to me to be laughably lacking in even the merest hint of basic economic analysis.

    Well, that immeidately kills off comments because there is little to add to this - it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. James

    Well, that immediately kills off comments because there is little to add to this - it's true.

    Lol ;) - not that this prevented an SNP 'apparatchik' (with sincere apologies to Richard for that reference) trying his best ...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.