Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Friday 16 January 2009

A nation is about to return to reality ...

I hope the reality of the Obama Presidency lives up to its initial promise. Eric Holder, Obama's nominee as US Attorney General, gives clear answers before his Confirmation Hearing about torture and other minor matters, such as the Geneva Conventions and the limits of Presidential power under the US Constitution, which the Bush administration acted as if it could override at will.



Barack Obama himself gave a pretty clear indication in an interview with ABC a few days ago about just where he stands on the issue:


"Vice President Cheney I think continues to defend what he calls extraordinary measures or procedures and from my view waterboarding is torture. I have said that under my administration we will not torture."

Amen to that. I've felt constrained to write a fair bit about torture in the past few years, unfortunate but necessary.

It will be good to have a US back that doesn't make me want to upchuck. I hope I can still write this in four years.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect that a couple of years down the line there will be a lot of disapointment with Obama's presidency, since the realities of office probably won't live up to the expectations.

    For example, he's recently acknowledged that closing Guantanamo won't be an easy process, and likewise I think those expecting him to wave a magic wand in the Middle East will be brought back down to earth with a bump.

    On the other hand, I suppose the mere fact that he's not George Bush will work in his favour and to that extent assuage any concerns, initially at least.

    Interesting times though!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.