Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 13 May 2008

Gym'll fix it ... ?

Yes! I'm just about to start going to a gym again, after a break of about a year. Long-time readers of my little blog may know of my long-standing (lifelong, really) struggles with efforts to keep my weight under some modicum of control and my pretty successful efforts with the Atkins diet a few years back to reduce my weight significantly on a long-term basis, and (unlike with previous different diets I have tried) to keep it there.

Atkins has been fairly successful for me, but there is no getting away from the fact that my weight has, over the last 6 months or so, begun to creep up again because I have been ignoring some of the 'rules' which make this diet work; that's largely a self-discipline and will-power problem I have to solve on my own and I know myself well enough to avoid making rash promises - I am trying, but the facts about my progress, and success (or not), will speak for themsleves in coming months. External issues do have an effect however - I no longer have my pet doggie Tara so have less incentive to at least go out for regular walks several times a day. I also like good food and I like nice wine. The weight gain so far is not in any way dramatic, but I know where this trend is leading and I desperately wish to avoid continuing down this self-destructive, if comforting, route.

However, all these so-called external factors are really just excuses - if I really wanted to do it, I would be doing it; as the slang has it "simple as ..."!

In about an hour's time I go for my initial 'orientation' visit to the new gym I joined last Saturday and I'm looking forward to it. As for the rest - getting back to controlling my food-intake better and taking regular exercise (not just of the gym-variety), well that will be a work in progress as it has been for most of my life, quite apart from getting a few more hours sleep at night (television and internet addiction to be curbed!). I'll report back in due course on how I'm getting on, warts and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.