Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 6 February 2008

Bank robbery in Mazarrón!

Or to be strictly accurate at the Camposol urbanisation just outside Mazarrón and just a few kilometres up the road from where I am.

My Spanish bank account is, it so happens with the bank branch which was robbed and the robbery must have taken place on Monday night as I had been into the bank on Monday to withdraw some cash and had arranged to return on Tuesday to collect some more. However, when I arrived at the bank yesterday morning it was closed and one of the large plate-glass windows had been smashed in; repairs to that were already getting underway. I went back again today and although the branch has re-opened it has no cash other than what is in the automated cash machine and the withdrawal limit on that is less than I require. Apparently the thieves stole all the cash and the branch won't be re-stocked with significant cash until sometime next week when the damages have been repaired (the plate-glass window has already been replaced, but there is other significant damage inside the branch and workmen were hard at work this morning on that). There was also a security guard checking everyone who entered, something which is not usually the case, but understandable after the branch has just been ransacked and robbed.

PS/ I just had broadband internet installed in my new Spanish house this morning so I am no longer out of internet/Skype touch, as I have been since arriving here on Sunday. A lot of the furniture is already delivered and installed, but a few items remain, the most critical of which are a hob and oven for cooking. The hob which came a few days ago did not fit, so another model has been ordered and, in theory, should be delivered this evening. Assuming this happens, then I shall probably move in tomorrow or Friday; I have the rented house for another week and a half so there is no particular hurry, other than my impatience - balanced by a determination not to have to 'camp out' in a partially-furnished house, specially when there is another rented house available to me just a few minutes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.