Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Tuesday 15 January 2008

Problems with PC ...

... and this time it's not my Vista-equipped laptop, but my XP-SP2 one. I was offline yesterday evening, doing some work on databases and graphics design, then decided to go online again briefly. The AOL browser software owuldn't load - my anti-virus software ('Norman') informed me a particular '.dll' file had been sent to quarantine; it's a file required for AOL to work I believe. After a while I contacted AOL helpline (in India) and thought I was getting somewhere, but the line ('phone line, that is) went dead and when I called back I got a different lady.

Long boring story, but the result is that not only will AOL not load, nor will IE7 now (the latter did work until I did something the second lady in India suggested I do)!!

I'm actually on the XP-laptop right now, online via Firefox, and it seems otherwise to be working fine, online and offline, except for AOL and IE7 not wanting to do what I ask. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to resolve this pest of a problem, but meantime I've done another back-up of all data onto the other laptop; that applies to everything expet the AOL email files stored on this PC, which is a real nuisance, but I don't know how to do that; the AOL email files on my newer Vista machine are not nearly so complete except in very recent months.

I'm off up to Culloden Battlefied in an hour; W're going to be shown around the new NTS visitor centre, just completed before Christmas and due to be opened officially in April - I hope to get a few photos, and may post some here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.