... and this time it's not my Vista-equipped laptop, but my XP-SP2 one. I was offline yesterday evening, doing some work on databases and graphics design, then decided to go online again briefly. The AOL browser software owuldn't load - my anti-virus software ('Norman') informed me a particular '.dll' file had been sent to quarantine; it's a file required for AOL to work I believe. After a while I contacted AOL helpline (in India) and thought I was getting somewhere, but the line ('phone line, that is) went dead and when I called back I got a different lady.
Long boring story, but the result is that not only will AOL not load, nor will IE7 now (the latter did work until I did something the second lady in India suggested I do)!!
I'm actually on the XP-laptop right now, online via Firefox, and it seems otherwise to be working fine, online and offline, except for AOL and IE7 not wanting to do what I ask. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to resolve this pest of a problem, but meantime I've done another back-up of all data onto the other laptop; that applies to everything expet the AOL email files stored on this PC, which is a real nuisance, but I don't know how to do that; the AOL email files on my newer Vista machine are not nearly so complete except in very recent months.
I'm off up to Culloden Battlefied in an hour; W're going to be shown around the new NTS visitor centre, just completed before Christmas and due to be opened officially in April - I hope to get a few photos, and may post some here later.