Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 3 May 2007

Bill's Election Day Evening Blogging Kit

A few of the essentials to make an evening anticipating the election results semi-bearable - the evening starts at about 5.45 pm with a glass (or two) of Prosecco di Valdobbiadene, from the area just north of Venice (a lightly sparkling and refreshing Italian wine). As the evening progresses I shall have some more Prosecco to wash down some lovely spicy Greek olives and probably some pheasant paté with Greek raisins, feta cheese and oatcakes accompanied by a salad.

Still later I shall open a bottle of delicious English sparkling wine, Chapel Down, a Kentish wine every bit as good as many French champagnes, to accompany some hand-made Belgian chocolates and various nuts to graze on; I adore nuts! Even if my preferred political party is not likely to triumph tonight I can at least have a pleasant gastronomic evening.

The theme of the evening? Well, my choice of English 'champagne' (rather than French) for this evening reflects my desire for Scotland (the oatcakes - from Orkney, as it so happens) to remain in partnership with England [and Wales and Northern Ireland] in the United Kingdom. The other products are from various parts of Europe (the pheasant paté is French, the Prosecco is Italian and various other items are Greek and Spanish - and Belgian [an assortment of white chocolates as these are my favourites]) neatly symbolising my support for the European Union. And of course the nuts are from various countries in Europe and the United States. If I had thought of it I would have made sure I had some figs in the house to signify my desire for Turkish membership of the European Union. Fundamentally I am an internationalist - but I'm a British internationaslist!


Election Day Evening Blogging Kit




Click here to see a larger image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.