Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Sunday 25 March 2007

Sanlucar de Barrameda and a visit to a Manzanilla Bodega

On my way to Seville from Jerez on Friday I passed by Sanlucar de Barrameda in the morning and visited the Bodegas Pedro Romero, one of the well-known makers of manzanilla in this coastal city. I was extremely fortunate to be offered a personal guided tour immediately upon my arrival there at 11 a.m. and did not have to wait until the scheduled visit time of midday. The guide available was a young German lady who, however, spoke little English. When she discovered that I spoke French though her face brightened and that's the language the tour was conducted in. I love the freshness of Manzanilla; it is a little lighter in style than fino sherry, attributed they say to the effect of the humid and salty air on the coast. The luscious Pedro Ximenez style was also a treat; I have only sampled this a few times before, but a bottle was included as one of the several bottles I acquired at the end of the visit!


Bodegas Pedro Romero, Sanlucar de Barrameda
23 MAR 2007
A view of a small part of one of the bodegas


Staff at work carrying out the criadera and solera rotations

Glasses of Manzanilla drawn straight from the barrel.

Click here to see larger images.

On Saturday I spent a full day visiting the Alcazar and the Cathedral in Seville and took many photographs - once I've had a few hours sleep (and the clocks go forward an hour tonight!) I may get aroound to doing a post later in the morning about these visits, or possibly I'll do it when I reach Malaga in the late afternoon of Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.