Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Monday 14 August 2006

Boo Hoo! My childhood toffee of choice is no more!

What's this, you ask? Well, although I must confess I haven't bought or consumed their products in many years (decades even!), it seems that the makers of Highland Toffee, Millar McCowan, have gone into receivership. The firm also made 'Pan Drops', a particular favourite of my paternal grandmother (long since deceased, of course) and one of my memories of childhood summer holidays at my grandparents' was being given occasional 'sweeties' by her, particularly some of her Pan Drops. Apart from that a lot of my summer holiday 'pocket money' went on things like Fry's Turkish Delight and Cremola Foam; I spent a fair few summer evenings with a slightly queasy stomach after a day of over-indulgence. Aaahhh - innocent childhood memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.