Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 8 February 2006

Super-excitement - a new Laptop is winging its way to me!

(Or how to blow a 'grand' in under five minutes ...)

After dithering for some time, I've finally ordered myself a new Laptop and it should (so the man on the 'phone said) arrive in the far frozen wastelands of northern Scotland by Friday. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the PC I have, of course, but it is a desktop machine so I can't indulge myself with surfing the net, or doing other things with it, except in my study. With the new machine I plan to set up a wireless network in my home, so I can use the laptop wherever the mood takes me and just use the desktop when I want to be in my 'office'.

Like the existing machine, the new one is from Fujitsu-Siemens (whose retail agent is Nice PC) - this is a brand I know well and have found to be pretty reliable over the six or so years I've had my last two machines; the new machine won't have quite so large a hard disk as the existing one (80GB instead of 120GB), but as I use only about 35 or 40GB of my existing machine it should be much more than adequate. It will however have a larger size of RAM (1024MB instead of 512MB) and a somewhat higher clock speed so all in all I think it will probably suit me very nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.