Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 15 December 2004

Blunkett resigns as Home Secretary. Happy! Happy! Happy!

David Blunkett announced his resignation as Home Secretary shortly after 6pm today. Whilst I am very happy this has happened, I have no intention of 'gloating' nor of making any comment about his purely personal life, although this does not mean I shall avoid comment on aspects of his personal life which are found to have touched upon his public role. Sad as I may feel about the manner of his going, his departure is unquestionnably, in my opinion, a good thing.

For me much the more important aspect of his resignation is what, if any, effect this will have on the legislation which he would have been chaperoning through Parliament, connected with security and identity card issues, etc. It is still far too soon to know if his political demise, at least from the Front Bench, will have any effect at all. I'd like to fantasise that this will result in plans to introduce ID Cards being abandoned, at least for the present, but I cannot be sanguine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.