Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Friday 4 June 2004

A schoolboy 'comes out' ...

... a very intertesting story here (names changed and location not mentioned) about a 15-year old's experiences after revealing he is gay. His is not a 'rough' school, by his account, so perhaps his story would be atypical, even today, but I still prefer to see it as a moderately hopeful sign, if only because my recollection is that I had no idea (whatsoever) what the explanation for my different reactions to growing up were when I was a similar age. Of course I happened to turn 15 at almost exactly the moment when homosexuality was decriminalised in England and Wales in 1967, although this did not affect where I lived at the time (the Isle of Man), nor of course did it affect Scotland until MUCH later. In any case I was completely ignorant at that age that such a thing as 'homosexuality' existed, or that it was the explanation for some of my feelings then. At the very least it seems that adolescents of both sexes are at least more aware now, than then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.