Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 26 May 2004

Stonewall urges gays and lesbians to boycott British Airways (BA)

I think this must date from a little while ago, but I just read about it today on Out in America, although I had certainly been aware of the background to this whole matter.

One of the Tory peers in the House of Lords is Lady O'Cathain, a lady with a long-standing and well-known antipathy toward homosexuals. She is also a non-executive director of British Airways (since 1993) - I had not been aware of this. During the recent debates on the Civil Partnerships Bill, Lady O'Cathain weighed in with her usual bile, making some exceptionally offensive remarks about homosexuals and their position in Northern Ireland (about which I have written a number of times recently because of the rampant homophobia experienced by homosexuals there):

"There are very few homosexuals in Northern Ireland."
- her attempt to exclude the Province from the legislation. And Northern Ireland -
"was different."

In practical terms it may be more difficult for some UK residents to exclude BA totally from their travel plans, but for those outside the UK this should pose no difficulty whatsoever for most. Next time I fly to London I shall certainly ensure that I don't use BA - I can at least do that little thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.