Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 4 March 2004

Holyrood "Dewar's Personal Memorial" says Gorrie

Yesterday at the Fraser Inquiry, Donald Gorrie (a LibDem MSP) finally said what I have believed, personally speaking, since this whole fiasco began - and by 'began' I mean when the Scotland Bill was first published by the newly-elected Labour government in London, soon after it came to power in 1997. Some choice quotes from his evidence to the Fraser inquiry:

There is a risk of someone in his position confusing what’s good for Scotland and what’s a memorial to Donald Dewar."
and
"In a democracy, it is not a question of Louis XIV deciding on the palace at Versailles. I find it absolutely offensive how it was done."
and
"I think if he was looking down on proceedings, he might think he made a bad decision. My own view is that Holyrood is the wrong site and at the time, I had never met anyone in Edinburgh who thought it was right. It was only a Glaswegian who could have chosen it."

Whether the right comparison is with Louis XIV or with Ceacescu in Romania or Kim il-Sung in North Korea, is debatable - but for sure Gorrie is telling it like it really is with his allusion (in my view).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.