Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 2 October 2003

Year of 'jinxed' holidays

I discovered yesterday afternoon that my planned vacation (to northern Tenerife) beginning next Monday is not now to be. The parent company of the travel firm I booked with has gone bust. My money is (touch wood) ATOL protected. I could have rebooked the same holiday immediately, but would have had to pay again. The refund from ATOL apparently takes about two or three weeks to appear, so I prefer to wait until this is safely achieved before committing more funds to this company; call me cynical or at the very least just careful. I've already cancelled hotel bookings in London before and after this holiday, but unfortunately I cannot do anything about a refund on the flights to and from London on EasyJet; the holiday would have commenced from and ended at Gatwick. So I'll just have to write that off, but luckily it's not a huge amount.

A holiday earlier this year, in March, also came to nought - it was to have been a week at a self-catering lodge on the west coast of Scotland. The lodge offered when I arrived was considerably different (and smaller) than I had booked and paid for, so I didin't go through with it.

On the positive side, today being 1st October, I can now walk on the beach here again with my dog; from April to September the part closest to where I live (i.e. less than 100 metres) is off-limits to dogs because it is a popular bathing beach in the summer. I have to go about a mile to the east or half a mile to the west to get onto the beach in summer with my dog - hardly a crushing blow, but in the winter it's just that little bit more convenient. And today was a glorious sunny autumn day and the sea was almost mirror smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.