Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 9 October 2003

The 'quiet man' turns up the volume - but is it enough?

The Conservative Party Leader's keynote address turned out to be quite a performance, certainly the best and most 'relaxed' I have ever seen from him. It seems that the media training he is said to have had over the summer has had a positive effect.

Obviously the faithful gathered in the hall gave Iain Duncan Smith a prolonged standing ovation. The question which remains, though, is whether anyone else other than the media and political junkies such as me will care very much. I have to say I am uncertain about this because I think he did strike some chords which have the potential to attract voters who do not consider currently voting Conservative. For example, I am a committed pro-European, but I too want to see a referendum on whether the prosposed EU Constitution Treaty should be ratified by the UK - I do have a strong belief in democracy and would accept the verdict of the electorate to a fairly presented referendum question, whatever it is. Our Prime Minister, Tony Blair, seems to have decidedly equivocal views on this and many other matters.

I want to study the text of Iain Duncan Smith's speech more closely before I make any further comment about his prospects of remaining Leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.