Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Thursday 19 August 2004

A frustrating day!

A lot of the reasons for my frustration today are to do with personal matters (not in my personal life as such, more to do with some of the petty indiviudals I come into contact with) that I don't discuss in my blog; suffice to say that I went to bed last night in a very irritable mood, with the world in general and a few acquaintances in particluar. I wakened up frustrated.

It got better during the morning - I had just composed another of my usual brilliant posts (ha! ha!) and pushed the 'publish' button; it was slow and eventually all I got was the 'website not responding' message. This has been happening of late from time to time and I keep reminding myself that I really should make an off-line copy of my posts before uploading them in case it all goes wrong and I lose the whole lot; today I did not do that. Usually these comms problems don't actually cause the whole thing to disappear - I suppose it depends on precisely how much has been saved by the Blogger server when the comms 'glitch' occurs. Today the whole lot was lost and whilst I could have re-created the post more or less from memory, with all the various links I had used, I had to go out for several hours soon after it happened and when I returned (after lunch) I really couldn't be bothered. I daresay the world will get along just fine without these particular pearls of wisdom.

A little later in the day I ended up smoking out most of the house as I forgot I had left something gently simmering on the hob; apart from ending up a charred remnant in the bottom of the pan, no real damage except that there is a lingering burning smell in the rooms nearest the kitchen.

Later still in the day I started to look to take a look at my [investment] portfolio as I need to finalise this year's tax return shortly; for the past few months (indeed for the past couple of years) that has not been a subject to bring much joy to most investors and I am probably no exception, although luckily it can be classified as merely 'disappointing', definitely not 'critical'; it's too well diversified for that. Nevertheless, not something that brings a smile to the face.

Added to which the weather here has been lousy these past few days; water has been coming down from the sky all over the country at a rate of knots with severe disruption to roads and day to day life in a number of areas. Very unseasonable weather, even for the UK!

Right, I think I've ranted on long enough; I better stop for today. But all this is why I've not really posted anything today (other than this petulant outburst). A small glass of sercial [madeira] is what I need. Cheers until tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.