Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 28 July 2004

National Trust for Scotland to allow gay commitment ceremonies in its properties

I read this report with some pleasure. It seems the National Trust for Scotland (NTS) is happy to allow various of the properties in its care to be used by gay couples for their commitment ceremonies. I remembered hearing at the time about the negative comment that the other National Trust (the one in England and Wales) had received when it was rumoured it might do this and was surprised - after all it is only the hire of a venue for an event that everone who attends will be on their best behaviour for and does not (unfortunately) have any legal significance.

It so happens I have been a member of the NTS for literally decades - since I was about 13 years old in fact, and am quite heavily involved (since I came back to live in the UK some years ago) with the local members' centre. The open attitude does not entirely surprise me, as I have met a number of the most senior people in the organisation a few times. I can only hope that their enlightened attitude will not be affected by any comments they receive from our own bigots here in Scotland (hint - think 'Stagecoach').

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.