Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Wednesday 9 June 2004

Review: 'The Day After Tomorrow'

I'm a sucker for apocalyptic disaster movies, so this was one I had to see. So this afternoon I did.

Briefly, the special effects were amazing and very believable. It's amazing how far digital effects have come in a very few years (Titanic was marvellous in its day, but the digitally-created aerial shots of the ship, with passengers on the decks, already look very stilted in my view).

The storyline is, ahem, weak - positiviely narcissistic, I'd say. And the dialogue is, for much of the time, pretty dire. On the other hand, there are attractive male and female characters who can deliver the nonsense the writiers have put into their mouths and still contrive to make it sound reasonable.

Was it worth the GBP4.70 (USD8.50) and two and a bit hours of my time? Definitely yes, but only for the incredible special effects.

UPDATE: (Thursday 10JUN04 00.21 BST) And now the science.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.