Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Monday 5 January 2004

Atkins Low Carbohydrate Diet - Weeks 27, 28 and 29

I am now on 'Pre-maintenance' (PRM), the 3rd stage of this 'way of eating' (WOE), since 10th December. I seem successfully to have slowed my rate of weight loss down so that over the 3 weeks I lost a further 1kg (2.2lb). The results each week were not precisely even - it would have been surprising if they had been - but I am very happy I managed to negotiate Christmas and New Year without major dietary mishap., even though I did allow myself some latitude with a few chocolates and candied fruit. My weight is now (as at Sunday 4th January) 67.0kg, a reduction of 31.0kg since I began (or 68.4lb) - I now have 2.0kg (4.4lb) to reach my target of 65kg. Measurement indicators for the 3 weeks:
- waist down a further 0.4 inches to 31.7 inches (total reduction so far 13.3 inches);
- hips down 0.4 inches to 38.8 inches (total reduction so far 9.7 inches);
- thighs down 0.3 inches to 22.3 inches (total reduction so far 6.2 inches).

I mentioned above that I had allowed myself some latitude over the festive period. As well as some of my own home made chocolates (I make 'mendiants' using dark and white chocolate, topped with nuts and candied fruit - much better than anything you can buy, with the exception of good quality Belgian chocolates such as 'Godiva' or 'Hediard' in my opinion), I also allowed myself one medium roasted potato on Christmas Day with my main meal. I also had a certain amount of champagne - maybe a couple of glasses each day over a three-day period - and a very few glasses of wine. It was all very enjoyable, but I did notice some cravings beginning to creep back in, which led to a couple of illicit, but fortunately minor, 'transgressions' in the form of a few too many of my 'mendiants'. Luckily I recognised what was happening and took myself off them completely and about 2 days later (by about 29th December) the cravings had disappeared completely again. Quite obviously this is something I will have to watch out for next year and be aware of the very real physical correlation between consumption of certain things leading to a desire for more. This is one very valuable thing that the 'Atkins' way of eating is teaching me.

As I am now on PRM I will be commenting here again on my progress on 'Atkins' in about 3 weeks time (26th January, or thereabouts).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.