Blogging from the Highlands of Scotland
'From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step' - Diderot

Monday 29 December 2003

Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

I saw this on Saturday, a long-anticipated post-Christmas treat. I'm pleased to say it was excellent. I'd say it was very good indeed, far better than 'The Two Towers', and almost as good as 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. All in all, I think the whole trilogy has been marvellous and far better than I could have imagined.

As someone who knows the book quite well (I have read it many times), Peter Jackson has of course had to omit or elide much of the detail when transferring it to screen. I have tried not to let this get in the way of my enjoyment of the filmed version. Not too difficult, because Jackson obviously loves the book too, and has done his job with some sensitivity. It remains to be seen whether 'The Hobbit' will be filmed, too, as has been rumoured. I read it long after having read LOTR and consider it not in the same league - but it should still make a good, if much less complex, movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my comment area. Whilst all comment is welcome you are requested to respect the views of others. To read full terms for use of this facility, please visit my 'Terms of Use' section, linked to under the 'About this Blog' heading at top right of the blog. Note added 12JUL2010 - All comments will now be pre-moderated before they appear in this blog; this is a measure to prevent 'spam' commenting, which has become frequent of late. Thank you.